01 March 2011

A monster shakes the earth

Here is another dream I remember that I had as a very young child.

*****

I am in the living room of our second-floor apartment. I hear a tremendous crashing, so loud the earth shakes with every clap. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! I run down the stairs to our external door, which is deadbolted. I look out the window and see a gigantic-- like, storeys tall-- version of this guy blue muppet monster pounding over the horizon toward our house. I am terrified. I try to scream, but I cannot make any sound, only a voiceless wheezing.

*****

I believe this dream was my first experience of the "unable to scream" phenomenon. This experience is not common for me, but I have had it a few times. It hasn't really bothered me as an adult as I generally recognise it as an instance of sleep paralysis even as it's happening. In spite of being frightened by this dream as a five- or six-year-old, I still love all things Muppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment